Barbers and hairdressers are “going to great lengths” to show they can conduct their business while complying with social distancing rules, Minister for Health Simon Harris has said.
Hairdressers and barbers are expected be allowed to reopen on June 29th, sooner than had been planned.
Government sources said that a move to bring the reopening of barbers and hairdressers forward to June 29th is being worked towards as the plan to reopen Ireland after coronavirus restrictions is accelerated and changed.
Others said the issue had not been decided yet, with the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) expected to reassess the plan over the next 10 days. It was noted by numerous sources that some people were getting their hair cut by professionals in their own homes.
Mr Harris and Taoiseach Leo Varadkar are said to be open to an earlier reopening, as long as NPHET recommends such a move.
On Thursday, Mr Harris told the Dáil the Government hoped to make a decision next week on the matter.
He said he recognised that for many people “getting their hair done has a mental health element as well” and he acknowledged that it was a serious issue for the sector. An estimated 25,000 people are employed in the industry.
He also said the sector has been making “big efforts…to adapt their premises”.
“I heard them talk about bringing one or two customers in at a time. They are going to great lengths and I hope we can make progress on this.”
Source: Irish Times